Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Villanova vs. Iowa

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. Villanova's 19 point win over 7th seeded Iowa was just what was needed to help purge the Wildcats' second round demons. It was a very good win, and much needed. But I'm not as gaga over Villanova's play as Verne and Spanarkel were, or just about any national commentator and the Philly.com sports writing staff.

I only tuned into the game at halftime. I was thrilled (and relieved) by the 25 point lead. But when I watched the first half on Tivo after the win, I was expecting to see a team on an unstoppable tear. Instead, what I saw was a team that hit a lot of deep 3s and played good defense. It wasn't the "explosive" or dominating play I anticipated.

In fact, their play was pretty ragged. Sure they had a good shooting night, but can you count on that every game? They shot 52% on 3 pointers. Sure their defense forced Iowa into 29% 3 point shooting - but even if they had made their season average of 37% Villanova wins.

All of this is to say that while I'm hopeful versus Miami am not entirely entirely confident.

Some other thoughts:

* Can 6'6" Kris Jenkins dunk? It sure didn't look like it when he tried a 2 handed stuff on a breakaway.

* Josh Hart had about 4 plays - maybe more - where it looked entirely possible that he was going to turn an ankle or blow out his knee. Amazingly, he didn't Knock on wood.

* It's been so long now I can't remember. Does Daniel Ochefu always play as if he is running with one peg leg? Hopefully he is more mobile in another 4 days.

* Fran McCaffrey - local boy nicknamed "White Magic." Who knew.

* Saw the big Villanova banner on the side of the Wells Fargo Center (along with the Sixers and Flyers logos of course). Was that wishful thinking? Villanova isn't the local college sponsor of the second round games are they? The NCAA still doesn't allow that, right?


No comments: