Thursday, March 20, 2008

In Memoriam

When I was a kid, I played dungeons and dragons. What surprised me in reading about the death of D&D’s creator, Gary Gygax, was how new the game was when I first played it in the late 70s. At the time, I thought it had been around for much longer, not realizing that it had been recently invented. I can still remember counting my dollars to buy my first D&D book/game manual at the Kay-Bee toy story in the Granite Run Mall.

 

But more than a D&D player, I am a huge fan of the 60s syndicated TV show, Hogan’s Heroes. It was one of the best things to look forward to when you were home sick from school. Broadcast weekdays at 1 and 1:30 pm on channel 17 or maybe 48 (nee 57). In any case, Ivan Dixon, or “Kinch” on the show – the token black radio operator and the calmest, sanest soldier in Hogan’s squad - passed away this week.

No comments: