Monday, October 06, 2008

Angry

The Phillies NLDS win did not dampen my anger at the Eagles one bit.

I’m so tired and angry at Reid. It’s time people stop bashing McNabb and focus on the fundamental reason for this team’s offensive ineptitude and lack of success.

I’m angry at Reid’s lousy play calling. I’m tired of the questionable personnel acquisitions. I’m tired of their inability to get a real fullback or deploy a blocking tight end or to start WRs that were actually drafted by somebody. I’m tired of starting a season without a legitimate punt returner and having that simple fact cost us the Packers game last year.

I’m angry at having the “largest offensive line” in the league be blown off the ball near the goal line and on short yardage downs. I’m tired of the offense’s inability to gain 3 yards when they really need it. I’m tired of all the freakin’ pass plays. I’m tired of 3rd and short being a passing down – the resulting incomplete or 2 yard swing pass – and a punt.

I’m infuriated at the sheer incompetence of clock management and replay challenges – he doesn’t challenge plays he should and does plays he shouldn’t.

I’m tired of hearing how Reid and Mohrninweg split the playcalling, just like I was tired of hearing how Reid and Childress split the playcalling. I’m tired of a head coach who was never anything more than a QB coach, be so involved in calling the plays. I’m tired of those plays being so predictable that even I can figure out what is coming (i.e., a running play on second down after a 1st down incomplete).

I’m tired of this defense having to carry the team and overcome the offense’s deficiencies. Quite honestly, if there were another head coach and Reid were the offensive coordinator and Jim Johnson the defensive coordinator, Reid would have been fired several years ago for not holding up his side of the bargain and a new offensive coach brought it.

Unfortunately, Kevin Kolb will not address any of Andy Reid’s fundamental flaws as a coach. they will still be there and we will have to continue to endure them.

The only good news is that while the Eagles have dug themselves a quite a hole for themselves in the first five games of the season, there are still plenty of games to play and their schedule really eases up.

Beat the Niners, bye, beat the Falcons, beat the Seahawks. All extremely winnable games against inferior opponents.

5-3 going into the November 9 Giants game. That is the game of the season, the one that will likely determine the Eagles fate.

No comments: