Sunday, September 11, 2011

Another view

From my favorite newspaperman.


I haven't gone into a season this unprepared, this not knowing since the Bobby Hoying/Doug Pederson era. I just missed the entire "offseason" because it only lasted about 8 days and it was at the height of my debt-ceiling insanity. I'm still very, very confused by people calling us a "dream team", because we just signed a few defensive guys I'd never heard of -- yes, I get that he's supposed to be the best CB in football, but can 1 corner really be that good? Does that, and adding a former Pro Bowl CB, make you a dream team? I don't know. 
We won 11 games last year and the division with a defense that could be best described as "average" -- but more aptly described as "putrid" whenever we faced good QBs. If these defensive upgrades make us competitive against good to great QBs, then 12-4 or 13-3 seems likely.

However, like last season, that all hinges entirely on the man under center. If he suffers injuries or slides back to his 2005 version of himself, then we're a 9-7 team.

No comments: