Monday, July 10, 2006

4-3

I was watching an NFL network profile of Vince Lombardi that I had Tivo’d from last fall. It was a great show on the HOF coach. But watching it was kind of weird cause the NFL network ran a crawl that provided news about the injury report and other items about that week’s upcoming matchups.

 

Well, I must have recorded this show during the week of the Eagles-Skins game at DC. They ran a “breaking news” segment about TO being “suspended” for the game. That was interesting itself given our recent conversations about TO, Dallas, the Eagles’ 2006 season, etc.

 

But the thing that really caught my eye on the crawl was the info on the Eagles-Skins matchup. I simply did not realize, or had forgotten, that going into that game both teams were 4-3. Even with all the turmoil, McNabb’s injury, no pass rush, a billion passing plays, the Eagles were still a contending team. Incredible to also think that given all that, and what we know now about how the Skins were a playoff team – that the Eagles were in a position to tie the game with a minute to go (till McNabb threw the INT on 4th down.).

 

Anyway, I guess my point – if I have one – is that the nfl season is a tricky thing that can take lots of twists and turns. And two teams with identical records at just before the halfway point can have dramatically divergent fates. That, and even with all the stuff the Eagles went through last year – they were still in it – contending with a playoff-caliber team as it turns out – on the road right down to the last minute --- WITHOUT TO.

No comments: