Sunday, December 09, 2007

A McNabb Compromise

I'm pleased to report a breakthrough in the tense standoff between the McNabb-haters and the McNabb supporters (such as eagleseye) in the aftermath of today's disappointing defeat. My friend called me as we were dejectedly walking out of the game. "Keep McNabb next year," he said. "He's no longer a top flight QB, but if the Giants are a playoff caliber team in the NFC, then the Eagles can be a contender next year with some roster changes. McNabb's not great, but he's a lot better than Kolb will be next year."

I said that McNabb didn't have a good game. He wasn't decisive and missed some guys that were open. It was the type of performance - statistically sound but uninspired that fuels the McNabb-haters. And I'm open to seeing what Kolb can do in the last two meaningless games of the season (New Orleans and Buffalo).

I think, too, though that to let McNabb depart is to give up on the 2008 season. And I agree that if the Giants are a playoff team, then some new players next year - along the defensive line and at WR especially - you know, the usual positions the fans have been clamoring for upgrades at for 3 years - will allow the Eagles to become a playoff team again.

If the McNabb factions can all get along in Philadelphia, maybe there is hope for the Middle East.

No comments: