Thursday, November 08, 2007

Brother Lidge

In the interests of equal time, I give now my brother’s fuller opinion of the Lidge trade:

 

“I really like Bourn and he made our lineup  dynamic – we have Utley/Rollins/Howard as our big 3.  As good as any trio in baseball.  What I really liked was the versatility the team had with the others.  We could go big – Burrell or we could go small – Bourn.  Bourn/Rollins/Victorino in the order is ridiculous on the basepaths.  3 of the top 10 steal guys in the NL.  If we go Werth and Burrell then we’re thinking long ball.  Of course, if the Phillies go with Burrell and Victorino, they have speed and some power on bench.

 

Bourn is automatic for 2nd base (except against the Rockies in the playoffs when Charlie didn’t send him – for absolutely NO REASON AND WASTED HIM AS A PINCH RUNNER).

 

I’m sorry to see him go because we lose the versatility, but you have to give up talent to get talent.

 

Overall I’m happy. Werth cannot be an everyday player so they now need a Centerfielder presuming they don’t re-sign Rowand for the ridiculous $14 million/year. (Bourn/Werth platoon I was okay with, but not just Werth - especially with Burrell around).

 

Lidge should be okay.  Minute Maid is pretty hitter friendly also.

 

No comments: